We hope you all had a wonderful time celebrating the birth of Christ this past week. This weekend Pastor Ryan shared a message about what to do when we have lost our joy, specifically focusing on depression. While this may seem like a different topic to talk about at this time of year, it is a relevant topic. For many of us, the holidays can bring out past hurts, pains, and stress. Through the story of Elijah, we hope you will be encouraged and realize that you are not alone in the struggle.
Pastor Ryan walked us through the causes of Elijah’s depression in 1 Kings 19:1-4, then showed us the solutions the Lord provides for Elijah’s depression in 1 Kings 19:5-17.
Causes of Depression:
• Physical Exhaustion — Elijah was physically worn out.
• Emotional Confusion — Elijah was absorbed with great fear.
• Intentional Isolation — Elijah ran into the wilderness alone.
Solutions for Depression:
• Physical Restoration — Sometimes we neglect our most basic needs (food, sleep, rest). When feeling depressed, a doctor can provide helpful insights. God knows, and wants to provide our needs.
• Spiritual Restoration — Dive into the word of God and spend time with Him. Also, Kingsland’s counsel and care ministry is available to assist. Learn more at Kingsland.org/counselcare
• Intentional Community — God desires for us to walk in community and fellowship with other believers. We are not designed to fight this battle alone. God desires for us to seek help.
• Can you identify with any of the causes for Elijah’s depression? If so which one and why do you identify with it?
• In 1 Kings 19:5-6 God provided Elijah with the most basic of needs. Why do we often neglect our most obvious needs?
• Why is it important for us to have intentional community with those around us? Do you feel as though you have good Christian community? What are steps can you take to find community if you don’t have it?