Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Will Davis Jr. is our guest speaker this week for Freedom Week at Kingsland. Will is the founding and senior pastor of Austin Christian Fellowship. Will is also an avid hiker and mountain climber. From his experience, he shared that to reach the summit of a mountain, one of the most important factors is REST. As you make your ascent, you constantly look for ways to find rest.
Consider this question: Is your relationship with Christ marked by rest?
Three truths from the passage:
Jesus’ Invitation – he invites you to a person – himself. “come to me. . .” Jesus is the source of rest. Does rest mark your life?
Jesus’ Invitees – Who does he invite? Jesus invites the weary and the burdened.
- Are you constantly trying and trying and yet you never seem to measure up in your relationship with God?
- Identify ‘things you do’ to try and achieve in your relationship with God.
- What is the difference between guilt and correction?
- Conviction is the voice of God and it inspires you to do better.
Jesus’ Promise – he promises rest. This is the same promise God makes to Moses : And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14 ESV). What God promises to Israel, He promises to give to you.
- Where do you find rest?
- What would your life look like if it was marked by a theology of rest?