Scripture Passage: John 4:16-30
Sometimes we can better understand what something is by knowing what it is not. Pastor Ryan pointed out that many times we focus on one or two attributes of God’s character, rather than looking at who God is as a whole. To really start to understand who God is, we cannot accentuate any one of His characteristics: His goodness has everything to do with His grace.
To explain what grace is, Pastor Ryan described what grace is not:
1. Grace is not the lowering of God’s standards: We cannot appreciate the grace of God if we ignore sin.
2. Grace is not opposed to good works: We cannot earn grace, but rather out of grace, we can be spurred on to good works.
3. God’s grace is not a commodity: If God’s grace was a commodity, we could run out of it; God’s grace is who He is.
Here are some questions to guide your discussion:
• How have you seen God’s grace in your life?
• Dallas Willard said “Grace is not opposed to effort, it is opposed to earning.” How does this give you freedom?
• What is the difference between seeing grace as something God offers versus who God is?
Today, begin your prayer time by praising the Lord for His amazing grace. Pray that the Lord will give you a Biblical understanding of grace and that He will show you His grace in a new way this week.