The cross has always been controversial. The Apostle Paul had a lot to boast about, but he chose to boast only about the cross. In Galatians 4:16, Paul says, “But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” The cross has always been the message Christians share, but as the culture changes, the way the cross is presented must change. Our current culture in Katy, TX is very similar to the time of the early church. Paul would want us to remember:
- How Katy sees the Cross – We are coming out of Modernity. (You can check the Kingsland website for a video of Pastor Ryan giving more detail about this.) The essence of Postmodernism and how the world is interpreting itself can be noted in several ways:
- Words don’t have any meaning – you choose your own truth
- Morality doesn’t have any absolutes
- Tolerance is the most important priority
- We shouldn’t change the message of salvation or water it down, but we should share it in a different way.
- How my life reflects the Cross – Jesus met needs and then shared truth. Our faith must be attractive, then it might be relevant and then it might be true. When our postmodern culture sees the relevance of our faith, they may decide to seek God.
The old paradigm was to share the truth and then invite a person to seek Jesus. The new paradigm is to:
R – Relationship – develop a friendship with non-believers
E – Experience – People know what it is to be unfulfilled. Through your friendship, they see your home transformed.
S – Story – Share the fulfillment you have through Jesus.
T – Truth – Then you are able to invite them into a relationship with Jesus.
The same result, but we must earn the right to share truth.
- How our world desperately needs the Cross – The cross turns the world’s idea of power upside down. Jesus had ultimate power but shoe to use it to save us.
Our research shows that 7 out of 10 of our neighbors in Katy don’t know Jesus. We also found that 74% of non-believers would go to worship if a trusted friend invited them.
How are you sharing the Gospel with those around you?
Who can you invite to Easter services?
Practice telling each other how the grace of Jesus has changed your life.