Scripture Passage: Daniel 3
We all have the desire to live a life of impact–make a difference with our lives. The boldness of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego show us an incredible example of what impacting culture for the glory of God can look like. From their example, we can see that influence is determined by two factors.
1. Who you’re willing to worship.
Worship can show up in subtle ways. In our day, it’s rarely a large golden idol, but we worship anything that captures our full affection and takes the place of God.
2. What it takes to make you quit.
Commitment is not about earning God’s blessing. It’s about responding to God’s blessing. You don’t commit your life to Christ to get anything. You commit your life to Christ because you have everything.
The bold decision Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego made to honor God still resulted in being thrown into the fiery furnace, but God protected them and stood right beside them. What a beautiful reminder that as we encounter trials in our own life, Jesus has already proven that He will be right by our side.
Talk About It
- What are some things in your life that are in danger of becoming idols by taking the priority and focus away from God?
- Describe a time when you were put in a situation to have to choose between honoring God or going with the crowd.
- What does it mean to you to know that God is faithful to stand beside us as we go through the fiery trials of life?