Have you ever wondered how you can hear from God? Ever felt like it’s some great mystery that is only solved by the super-spiritual Christians? Or has it just been a while since you heard anything from Him? You’re wondering where he might be or if you’ve done something wrong and He won’t talk to you?
Three Conditions Necessary To Hear From God
1. Desire | God speaks to his children when there is genuine, wholehearted desire to hear from him.
2. Dedication | To hear God speak you must obey what He has already said. Why would we think God would speak to us and give us new direction and insight when we have been unwilling to obey what He has already told us?
3. Discernment | Here are several key ways to develop a discerning heart. Remember you cannot develop discernment apart from the Bible.
• Read God’s Word
• Study God’s Word
• Listen to God’s Word taught
• Listen to God’s Word preached
• Read books about God’s Word
• Discuss God’s Word with other believers.
As a family select 1-2 things you want to focus on over the coming week to begin hearing more from God. Is there a sin you need to confess and get help in overcoming? Is there a discipline you need to develop regarding the Bible? Do you simply need to spend time praying to seek God wholeheartedly?
Everyone can hear from God. In John 14:26 Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would teach us: “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.”