Genesis 22: 15-17a “Then the angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time from heaven and said, “By myself I have sworn,” this is the LORD’s declaration: “Because you have done this thing and have not withheld your only son, I will indeed bless you.”
This Sunday, Commitment Sunday, is the culmination of five weeks of focus on our commitment to My Mission, My Home, My Legacy. Pastor Ryan began by asking, “What is your greatest test of faith you can remember?”
Share what test of faith crossed your mind at that question.
Pastor Ryan said that when God speaks to our heart and calls us to respond that we are called to three acts of surrender. These are found in today’s Scripture passage:
- Absolute surrender requires absolute commitment.
Just like coming to an intersection that has a yield sign, Pastor Ryan reminded us that God always has the right of way, and we are always called to yield to Him. It’s been suggested that surrender is saying yes before you know the question.
Tell those with you of a time when you overcame fear and yielded to God’s call in faith
- Absolute surrender requires absolute obedience.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer once said, “Only he who believes is obedient, and only he who is obedient believes.”
Share a tough time you trusted and were obedient to God’s call
- Absolute confidence in His promise.
Speak of that time when you trusted God for His promise
Share a commitment you make just today in one of these areas:
- My Mission – moving in the direction of those in need
- My Home – Hold the habits; Own the table; Mark milestones; Engage beyond the home
- My Legacy – commit to giving first and best over the next three years