Scripture Passage: James 2:8-12
We each receive an invitation from God to have a personal relationship with Him. Pastor Ryan spoke from James 2:8-12 about some reasons people don’t accept this invitation.
1. “I don’t trust the source.” – Is the Bible true? The reliability of the Bible is proven true over and over. We are encouraged to do some homework on our own to understand how we know it is true.
2. “I don’t need a Savior.” – People often think they are “good enough” on their own. Verse 10 and I John 3:4 make it clear that even one sin is enough to separate us from a holy God. So what is sin?
- Breaking God’s Law
- Not Doing What You Should Be Doing (Omission)
- Not Living By Faith
- Our Lack of Belief
3. “I’m not worried about God’s judgement” – All sin requires punishment. God IS a loving God and He offers mercy to everyone, but we must choose to accept it.
4. “I’m not worthy of God’s love.” – Verse 13 tells us that mercy triumphs over judgment. God loves us no matter what we’ve done.
Salvation and freedom from sin are free gifts God offers each of us. Have you accepted his grace, mercy and forgiveness?
- Share your salvation story.
- Can you think of any other reasons people might turn away from God?