Scripture Passage: Proverbs 31:8-9
A picture frame gets its value from the art or image inside of it. The Sanctity of Life discussion is rooted in the truth that we have value because our human frames bear the image of God–not because of how powerful we are, what ethnicity we are, or because of anything we can offer to society.
As Christ-followers, there are three key choices we have to make in our defense of the sanctity of life.
1. Always Choose People Over Convenience.
We need to embrace the value and personhood of those who “have no voice.”
“Speak up for those who have no voice, for the justice of all who are dispossessed.”
Valuing life doesn’t just apply to abortion. We show we value life when we appreciate and defend all life regardless of class, disability, age, etc.
2. Always Choose Right Over Injustice.
When we say that our convenience is more important than the value of life, we are placing ourselves on the throne instead of God. We must do what is right even in the face of wrong-doing, confusion, or opposition.
3. Always Choose Grace Over Condemnation.
We must understand that regardless of the mistakes from our past, complete forgiveness and freedom can be found in a relationship with Jesus Christ. God’s grace and forgiveness provides healing from our hurts and gives us a new start!
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
-1 John 1:9
- What kinds of people are in danger of being devalued in our culture?
- Has there ever been a time where you stood up for someone who was being devalued? Why did you do that?
- What are the challenges or risks in defending the devalued?
- What is something you can decide to do today to show sanctity for life?